August 09, 2023

*between wild yarrow and carrot flowers


The temperatures had dropped so drastically over the weekend that I first time since we are living here made a little fire in the stove in August to warm me up a bit. By the way it is now exactly 10 years ago since we moved here and back then it was also an exceptional hot summer, but this year we do have both, high temperatures with extreme dry weather and low temperatures and quite some rain. Parts of Austria are already flooded and people had to be evacuated from their homes.
It was a sad morning today, the injured pigeon that I found yesterday (I'm pretty sure she had crashed into a car or agricultural vehicle, because she could not fly anymore and her right eye was very sore) died in the night. After I gave her shelter she seemed to do a little better, but today it was clear that she must have had really bad internal injuries, I saw that blood came out of her mouth when I inspected her corpse. What a sad way to start the day, shoveling a little grave and crying over this innocent creature.
The meadows are turning colors and are full of wild yarrow, carrot flowers and viper's buglosses. It is a very pleasant sight, especially when the sky is a bit moody like on my pictures, it creates a certain atmosphere that I really like.

No comments: