April 02, 2021

*Spring has started



April has just started and finally the first blossoms of the apricot trees have opened and the air is filled with the scent of wild violets. One of the best fragrances if you ask me! I have been working constantly in the garden since the weather makes it possible and have sowed peas, carrots, beetroot, different salads, parsnips, kohlrabi, spinach, sunflowers and many more and inside I started seeds from different sorts of tomatoes, cucumbers, bitter melon, zucchini and squash. As the garden beds are not big enough to grow everything we would like to this year, we will make a new one only for potatoes and pumpkins next to our berry area. As times are unstable I think nothing is more valuable than having a little piece of land where you can grow something. Have you seen this video of a woman who cultivates her 8 square meter balcony? It's amazing what is possible even with little spaces! 

The pictures above are from the beginning of March when we were hiking and collecting wild garlic near the Danube. 

I started my stinging nettle cure again, one month later than last year as the stinging nettles only recently started to show up. And as soon as the birches get little leaves I will collect and dry them to preserve for the cold season. It is really not a time of the year to get easily bored, as there is so much to do, it's sometimes really overwhelming. Not that I have ever issues with boredom at all anyway, but spring is really a very active time for me and for sure for many other people too!

Have a good start into April!

No comments: